Type of H-Bonding, Modern Concept of Covalent Bonding
In formed when H-atom of one molecules combines with the electronegative atom of other molecule by dipole-dipole interaction (N, O, F and electron cloud exhibit H-bonding)
Type of H-Bonding
- Intermolecular H-Bonding: Formed between H and electronegative element of two different or same molecule
It increase the boiling point, solubility in water and viscosity.
- Intramolecular hydrogen bonding: Formed between H and electronegative element present in the same molecule.
- It increases volatile nature, decreases boiling point and solubility.
Modern Concept of Covalent Bonding
Valence bond theory: Formed by overlapping of half filled atomic orbitals.
- Greater the overlapping higher the strength of the bond.
- Electron density is maximum between the two atom where overlapping takes place.
- p-orbitals will form stronger bond than s-orbital.
- When overlapping of orbital takes place along their axis the bond formed is(sigma) bond.
- When overlapping of orbital takes place laterally or sidewise the bond formed isbond.